This is a blog of a happily married, stay-at-home mom of five kids. Expect mostly everything here.

8/24/2011

Burn, Baby, BURN!

We lost two of our desktops today. Out of all the desktops, it just HAD to be the one that contained hours and hours of old home videos that I had digitized from VHS cassettes. In case you aren’t sure what they are, they’re the things that we used way back when there weren’t CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray, SD cards, thumb drives, or even cheap desktop computers.

Desktops back then costs thousands of dollars, and had a whopping 128K and used what was called “floppies”, which looked kind of like a giant floppy SD card. Later came the slightly smaller version that was actually plastic – but I’m getting way off the subject here. If you want to know what a VHS cassette was, click on the link above. It’ll take you to a Google images page, so you’ll know what they look like.

My husband dug out his hard drive reader and tried it on the third Gateway, which didn’t seem to even know what an external hard drive was. Neither one of us wanted my youngest to hound him and me (mostly me, of course) about using the computer. His laptop is so old, you would think it played VHS tapes, so we use the only computer that was running, could read an external hard drive, AND no one was using (as in I was busy doing housework), my laptop.

We moved the files onto my laptop and then proceeded to move the files onto our terabyte book drive. Unfortunately, for some strange reason, anything more than 4GB was more than the drive can handle. This means, that I will be taking the video and cutting it up into pieces.

New problem, my hard drive is full. Well, almost. But it’s full enough that editing the 4GB video won’t happen, unless I free up some space.  Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus (the video editor I use) is non-destructive, which means, that not only the entire 4GB file remains intact, but Magix will create another file with all the edit info. In order for me to edit all of the larger files (ranging from 4GB to 11GB), I have to work on the smaller files first.

So, I burned one DVD already and found that it wasn’t as tedious as I thought it was. As a matter of fact, it was quite fun. So now, after I finish this blog, I plan on doing another.

As long as nothing else goes wrong.

No comments: